Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Today's recipe is from Running On Real Food.
Mexican food for breakfast is probably one of our favourite things in the world. Huevos rancheros? Best. Ever. However, if you choose not to eat eggs or dairy, what are you do to? Well, get as close as you can with a vegan-style delicious tofu scramble and mexi-flavours like avocado, cilantro, salsa, spices, beans and lime.
These healthy vegan breakfast burritos taste amazing and are easy to make. You can prep the tofu scramble ahead of time then just throw them together in the morning. They can even be prepared and frozen individually for a healthy take on frozen burritos!
|Yields: 4||Prep Time: 10 mins||Cook Time: 10 mins||Total Time: 20 mins|
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- heaping 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 a red pepper, diced
- 1 package of extra-firm or pressed tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric, mixed with 3 tsp of water
Ingredients for Burrito
- fresh lime juice
- refried beans
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, red onion, red pepper and mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms start to soften, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the crumbled tofu and spice mixture to the pan.
- Stir well to mix it all up and cook until the tofu is heated through.
- Heat up the refried beans (optional, I added mine cold).
- Prepare the wraps with a few generous spoonfuls of beans, lettuce, cilantro, avocado, salsa and a big scoop of the tofu scramble. Spritz with lime juice.
- Wrap it up and enjoy!