Quinoa and Kale Protein Power Salad
Today's recipe is from Food Crush.
This quinoa and kale salad packs a lot thanks to simple ingredients that when combined, offer a crunchy play of sweet and savory with a slight Med-inspired flavor twist.
Quinoa and chickpeas provide valuable protein, making this light salad a favorite meatless or vegetarian option to serve alone, or alongside fish, chicken or any other protein source. Add pistachios not only for their crunch, but also because of their heart-healthy fats that have been shown to lower cholesterol. They’re also lower in fat content than other nuts and offer more potassium and vitamin K.
Kale’s health benefits are well documented, scientifically proven, and long. High in fiber, iron, calcium, and all sorts of vitamins, not to mention low in calories and zero fat, this leafy green has become a favorite of even the most mainstream eater.
Seasonal clementine oranges are a valuable source of everyone’s favorite antioxidant, vitamin C. Keep those colds away!
|Yields: 4||Prep Time: 10 mins||Cook Time: 10 mins||Total Time: 20 mins|
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups chopped kale (ribs removed)
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 5-6 clementine oranges, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or your choice of dressing)
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon dried mint, crushed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- In a salad bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, chopped kale, garbanzo beans, orange slices, pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, garlic, dried mint and kosher salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss so everything is evenly coated. Dust with freshly chopped mint. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Salad can be served immediately or saved for up to 2 days.