Why Matcha Matters
When we think of matcha, images of matcha tea lattes and boba milk teas come to mind, don't they? But it's so much more than just a signature sweet treat. The real, quality matcha is actually the highest grade powdered green tea and is packed with nutrients and antioxidants. A product of the Camellia sinensis plant, matcha starts of like regular tea leaves, except it is not picked and dried. It is stemmed, the vines are removed, then it is ground into powder with a signature bright green color.
What are the benefits of matcha?
- Matcha is filled with enzymes that help prevent UV damage that causes premature aging.
- One bowl of match green tea contains 5 times as many antioxidants as any other food. Specific to matcha is an antioxdant compound known as a catechin, which is the most powerful kind because of its cancer-fighting abilities.
- Matcha leaves contain high levels of the amino acid L-Theanine. This property causes alpha waves in the brain that signal the body into relaxation and a sense of mental clarity. Put it this way: It's like getting that caffeine kick without the crash.
- It strengthens immunity by providing the body with appropriate levels of potassium, vitamins A & C, iron, and calcium.
- They contain high levels of chlorophyll, which acts as a detoxifier that removes heavy metals and toxins from the body.
- It provides a clean, steady dose of energy. The effects of a cup of matcha green tea, for example, can give an average human being around 6 hours of sustained endurance.
Why you need matcha in your diet
If you are watching your weight or inches, matcha is actually necessary in your diet. Thats because the EGCG concentration in matcha, actually benefits the body in two days: (1) It increases the body's burn rate of stored fat, and (2) prevents the development of new fat cells. In addition when we exercise, matcha helps the body to burn more calories.
Perhaps one of the best benefits is its ability to lower levels of bad cholesterol, as well as blood pressure. This means that with regular use, matcha may actually help to prevent strokes and hypertension.
Raw Bites Recommends: Teapigs Matcha
Teapigs is a British brand that is the brainchild of two former employees of a large tea company. Its mission is to produce high quality real tea: whole leaf tea, whole leaf herbs, whole berries, whole spices and whole flowers. Teapigs painstakingly engineers its teas in small batches to extract the best flavor. In your Raw Box, you will find a Matcha-on-the-Go sachet that will give you all the benefits we listed above, and of course, amazing flavor. Take your matcha daily as a hot tea, as a latte, or even as an added boost to your green juice, yogurt bowl or smoothie.